Senior Production Designer, Illustrated Design, Random House (Design Administration and Workflow)
Random House Illustrated Imprints are the industry leaders in 4 color books, gifts and licensed products. We’re home to some of the world’s most iconic authors including Ina Garten, Toni Tipton-Martin, David Chang, Emily Henderson, Deepak Chopra, Gretchen Rubin, Rachel Held Evans, Michael Paul Turner, Netflix and many more.
The Senior Production Designer will support a busy and creative art and design department. The Lead Production Designer should be a collaborative, organized, tech-savvy, problem-solver with excellent communication skills.
We are looking for at least 5 years of experience in production design and supporting a long-running design workflow. In addition to the Art Department, the Senior Production Designer will interface with the Prepress, Production and Editorial Production teams and work on a wide variety of the over 70 books we publish each year. Candidate should have experience in full production of a book or other print publications, from markup of Word files, creation of InDesign templates/style sheets, manuscript flow in InDesign and work through remediation cycles to the preflight process. The Senior Production Designer will also create several types of PDF files for marketing and advertising purposes.
* Proficiency in Adobe InDesign on Mac
* Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills, strong attention to detail and quick and efficient follow-up
* Proficiency in other Adobe and Microsoft Word software
* Able to work independently and cross-departmentally
* Able to manage and adhere to schedules
* Experience with Word markup and workflow
* Photo editing
* Know and improve book design process, templates, coding, style sheets, InDesign scripts, graphics
* Evaluate sample pages from designers and create clean and thoughtful templates, style sheets, object styles, libraries and master pages
* Create footprint mannequins for photo shoots based on concept designs
* Move manuscripts in the template
* Make text corrections and design changes in collaboration with the designer
* Create PDF files on each pass and upload to Box to share between services
* Resume book interior process on 2nd pass – communicating frequently with designer
* Organize, name, link and publish hi-res art for production
* Interface with prepress – properly package, upload and organize files for them
* Ensure the consistency of our files and workflows with production
* Make reprint corrections and manage reprint files
* Design and produce our catalogs (based on a model) from the manuscript to the sending to the printer
* Any other support from the art department
* While production design experience in book publishing is a plus, it is not required or necessary to be successful in this role – initiative, innovation, project management, attention to detail and communication skills are essential.