Rodanthe meeting on seaside homes and erosion draws crowds – The Coastland Times

Rodanthe meeting on seaside homes and erosion draws crowds

Posted at 4:29 p.m. on Thursday, September 1, 2022

In Rodanthe, a conversation about vanishing seaside homes, ocean erosion and beach nourishment drew crowds in person and online.

Dave Hallac, Superintendent of Eastern North Carolina National Parks, was invited to the Rodanthe-Waves-Salvo Community Building to speak about homes falling into the ocean. Some 70 people crammed into the building to hear his presentation on August 24, 2022, and another 70 listened online.

Hallac was invited by the Civic Association Rodanthe-Waves-Salvo.

Get the latest headlines sent to you

This spring, three beachfront homes on Ocean Drive in Rodanthe fell into the Atlantic Ocean. The first was on February 9, and the second and third structures hit Coastline National Beach on May 10.

The May 10 event attracted national and international media interest. A video of one of the houses collapsing has been viewed 20 million times.

Within 48 hours of the February event, the debris field extended 15 miles to the south.

Hallac called the house’s collapse an “environmental disaster” that is still ongoing.

A photograph showed small pieces of tar paper littering the beach along with bits of plastic awnings, carpet padding and fabric. Some 33 septic tanks are on the beach.

He said Rodanthe beach was eroding faster than other areas. He estimated the rate at 10 to 15 feet per year.

The National Park Service is in contact with 24 homeowners to request that threatened homes be stabilized or removed.

Seashore staff also require these owners to obtain beach clean-up permits so that a contractor can get to work soon after a cave-in, as conditions are safe.

He reported that two houses on Ocean Drive had been moved. Four other owners are in various stages of moving or to new land.

“It’s not easy, not cheap,” commented Hallac, who thanked those owners for fixing the issues.

Cape Hatteras National Seashore staff continue to coordinate with North Carolina and Dare County. The agency spent staff time and money cleaning up the beaches.

A new machine – a Barber Surf Rake 400HD – has been purchased to remove lingering waste along the shoreline.

Hallac pledged to continue interagency work and the search for options to prevent impacts on the national coastline.

Hallac’s presentation lasted approximately 30 minutes. The questions and his answers lasted about an hour.

Beach food was the hot topic. Hallac was asked directly if he would issue a beach supply permit at Rodanthe: “Maybe.”

The Cape Hatteras National Seashore now has a Sediment Management Plan which sets out the conditions for issuing permits for beach nourishment. Hallac said “the aim must be for the general public good”. He cited the protection of NC 12 as in the Avon and Buxton projects or the protection of Cape Hatteras Electric Cooperative transmission lines or Dare County water lines.

Current beach nourishment projects at Avon and Buxton have cost a total of $33.1 million. The Avon project cost $12.7 million and the Buxton project cost $20.4 million.

Funding for the projects comes from the Beach Nourishment Fund and special tax districts created in each village.

For the Avon and Buxton projects, the Beach Nourishment Fund plus special tax districts will contribute $22.7 million. A state grant will provide $1.6 million and FEMA and other state aid will inject $8.8 million.

The Beach Nourishment Fund’s source of revenue is 2% of Occupancy Tax revenue.

Dare County issued limited bond debt by private placement to pay for the projects. The bonds were placed with the Truist Bank at an interest rate of 1.39% for five years.

South Shore Drive is immediately south of Ocean Drive. A homeowner said 75ft of 10ft dunes were gone. He asked “why can’t we be proactive? »

READ MORE NEWS HERE.